Monday, January 30, 2012

3 little words


Hey there, blog-land!  Sorry for the long delay, but I’ve been battling with when and how to write this post for a while now, and I think it’s time to put it out there.

As many of you know, Flyboy and I lost a very important person to us just hours after the New Year.  Although celebrating his life with his family has been a true and unmistakable blessing, it has been a very gut-wrenching, inexplicably painful time for us.  We are still very much working through the grieving process, so bear with us.  I must sincerely thank those of you who have reached out to us during this time.  Without our traditional support system around us in Hawaii, the phone calls, emails, and Facebook messages have meant far more than you could ever know. 


LTJG David Reis
Flyboy will tell you that David was the best friend you could ever ask for.  They met and became fast friends on the first day of flight school, and David had gone on to become a F-18 pilot.  I think that was the only future David had ever considered for himself, and he went right out and did it.  He was like an adventure in a bottle.  I don’t think David had “average” or “boring” days – he made the most of every single minute he was given.  He was a selfless friend, and I mean that in a way that I will never be able to describe to you.  You would have to know him to understand.  David loved his friends in a way that made you feel like you were the most important person in his life, the top of his list.

That’s been a bit of a stumbling block for us in our grieving – did David know how much WE loved HIM?  I hope so, but did we actually tell him that?  Did our actions show it enough?  Thankfully, we were able to spend 2 days with David in San Diego as we travelled across the country.  We hadn’t seen him in over six months, so it was a wonderful reunion.  During that time, David was happier and more huggable than ever, and so as we said goodbye (for the 4th time, because I SUCK at goodbyes) it just seemed obvious that I remind him that I loved him.  And that I really meant it.  And that I couldn’t WAIT to see him in Hawaii.

David and Karen Reis
David and his beautiful sister, Karen lived lives that deeply touched literally hundreds of people.  Not just the “nice girl in my English group” kind of touched – the “best friend that never forgets my birthday” kind of touched.  Their funeral was unlike anything I’ve ever seen.  There were well over a thousand people there.  That church was beyond standing room only – there were over a hundred people OUTSIDE on the steps, just hoping to be there to honor their lives and say goodbye.

Having seen the impact David and Karen had made in their short lives, their (amazing) younger brother and sister challenged us to strive for that sort of impact through our lives.  They’ve dubbed it the “Reis Ripple.”  It can’t be explained any better than through their own words, so I’ll share with you the last bit of their eulogy for David and Karen:


The challenge is this. To have the same ripple effect on the lives around you. Let the ripples of your life be ripples of love, laughter, adventure, selflessness, and smiles. 



The most important of these ripples are the ripples of love. We dare you to never hang up, to never leave without saying I love you. We dare you to mean it. We dare you to spread it. Let your ripples be ripples of love in memory of David and Karen.”

In thinking back on my last hug and my last moments with David, there in San Diego – I am so thankful that I actually TOLD David that I loved him.  It’s not my usual style, just going around dropping the “L-bomb” on people, but I am so glad that I did.  I know I didn’t say it enough, and can only hope that he knew it without being told.  I know that there are a number of you to whom I’ve never actually said, “I LOVE YOU,” but I do.  I’m sure that in thinking about your own lives, you can think of someone you might want to remind.


"LOVE" by the Reis siblings at Christmas
So please, for me, and for David and Karen – go out and tell your loved ones, your friends, and the special people in your lives that you love them.  Go ahead, say it in so many words.  Tell them through your actions and show them how much they mean to you.  Treat them like they’re the most important person in your life – even if they’re not.  Make sure that they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, just exactly how much they are appreciated.  And maybe there’s someone that you love or have loved, who you don’t even really like right now – go ahead and tell them too, just in case you don’t get the chance later.



A hui hou hoaloha,


- Kristin




If you’re at all interested – you can catch the Reis Ripple page on Facebook.  If you want to know more about David and Karen, this story will tell you a bit about them and this story will introduce you to their incredible family.


A photo from the Ballon Celebration to honor David and Karen's lives.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Kristin. Your message to all of us is very meaningful and challenging. David was special. Wish I had had more time to get to know him. I'll take your challenge and try to change the waves I usually create into ripples of Love instead. Thank you David & Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Kristin, that was awesome! I love the way you summed David up: Adventure in a Bottle! That's my boy!

    We've been so overwhelmed with the sheer number of people who have come to our aid. We are just now beginning to understand the hugeness of our loss and the depths to which we hurt.

    Thank you for your tribute to David and Karen. They have touched so many lives in a bigger way than I ever imagined. I can't imagine how I could ever help a friend through losing two children at once... and here I am doing it myself.

    We just take one day at a time; no - actually one moment at a time. Knowing that God is with us as we learn to function without David and Karen in our lives.

    I could write for days about how I feel, and I will, a bit at a time.

    Friends like you and Flyboy don't come around everyday. We treasure you and welcome you into our family and are honored that you consider us part of yours.

    In David and Karen's memory,
    We thank you.
    We love you.
    Christ's peace to all of us.

    Patty and Tom Reis
    Parents of David, Karen, Melanie and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. One feels the presence of God, the love within these words. God bless....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin,
    What a beautiful tribute to David and Karen. Just from the stories I heard you share at the receptions I'm sure you and Flyboy meant a lot to David. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think! Leave me a note.